Re: Don't break words at end of line in text mode

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: Don't break words at end of line in text mode
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 03:21:04 -0400

Amy Templeton wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen (matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu) wrote:
>> I'm trying to figure out how to stop emacs from displaying
>> end-of-line words broken between lines; I'd like the last word to
>> move to the next line. I thought text mode might do this, but
>> apparently not. Is there an option for this?
>
> Try turning on auto-fill-mode (M-x auto-fill-mode), if it's not
> already on.
> If the above is the desired behavior, try adding this to your
> .emacs file:
>
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

Thank you very much.  That mode will be useful when I'm writing plain
text documents in emacs.

> I hope that's helpful!

It is. :) It's about time I figure out how emacs handles filling.  One
more thing.  When I open a document that isn't filled, I'd like it to be
filled automatically, but only for display (not changing the actual
file).  fill-region works, but it modifies the file.

Matt Flaschen