Re: Viewing PDF/PS files

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Viewing PDF/PS files
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 19:07:04 +1000

mowgli <knowledgeless@gmail.com> writes:

> On May 16, 7:30 pm, weber <hug...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 16 maio, 00:29, mowgli <knowledgel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Is it possible to view PDF or PS files in the emacs on console? If
>> > yes, how?
>>
>> > Regards,
>> > mowgli
>>

>> You mean like extracting text from those files ?
>
> No, not extracting but actually being able to read ps files directly
> in to emacs. I think emacs can convert to ps files, then can't it read
> them? On the console version, not in X I mean.

No it can't do that. Generating a PS file is very different from displaying
one. To do this, you would need a point/pixel level drawing routine and the
ability to print a pixel at any location etc, plus the ability to interpret the
font specifications in the PS etc.

The best you can do is

1. convert to text. I have a utility that pretty much automates this process.
If you try to view a PS, PDF or DOC file, it uses external conversion utilities
to convert the document to a plain text format and display that in a buffer.

2. Use one of the 'runit' type emacs extensions that are out there. These
extensions will pass the file to an external program like ghostview or xpdf to
display the document.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au