Re: arrow keys in the console

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: Re: arrow keys in the console
Date: 18 May 2007 12:16:59 GMT

On 2007-05-18, Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:

> You can fix it by setting the right value for the TERM environment variable.
>
> What terminal emulator or what kind of console do you use?
>
> For example, I use xterm, so I write:
> TERM=xterm ; export TERM
> in my ~/.bashrc file.

I'm just experimenting with the console in linux, i.e., starting up
emacs without starting X. echo $TERM now shows: linux. How do I find
out what it should be?

For some reason the problem seems to have fixed itself in xterm when
running X. I've been mucking around in my .Xresources trying to fix
the xterm fonts, but I'm not sure what the change was that solved the
problem. It stil exists in the non-X console.

> Otherwise, you can rebind the commands dynamically:
> M-x global-set-key RET <up-arrow> RET previous-line RET
> M-x global-set-key RET <down-arrow> RET next-line RET
> M-x global-set-key RET <right-arrow> RET forward-char RET
> M-x global-set-key RET <left-arrow> RET backward-char RET
> etc...

I'll try that if I can't figure out the underlying problem, thanks.

Tyler