Excess CPU usage during idle, Carbon Emacs

From: Fred Seibel
Subject: Excess CPU usage during idle, Carbon Emacs
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 22:43:35 -0600

Running the Spring release of Carbon Emacs on an Intel Core 2 Duo powerbook, I have noticed that the fan stops running shortly after exiting emacs. The Activity Monitor shows emacs running at nearly 100% even after an extended idle period. I presume this is contributing to a faster than necessary drain on the battery. Any ideas about the cause of this behavior and how to cure it?