Re: emacs on X and screensize

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: emacs on X and screensize
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 07:43:39 -0500

Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
I'm kind of new to emacs and have tried lots of options. I can't find
the solution to a simple question though.

Everytime I start emacs (running Xorg) the program takes the total wide
of the screen at startup. so everytime I have to resize the window to
*my* preference. Most programs can save the window state. I would like
this for emacs too. Is this possible from within the progam or do I need
to call it in a special way from my windowmanager?

This form is from my .emacs. It makes the frame occupy about the bottom half of the physical screen. You can experiment by changing any of the parameters ad libitum:

(setq initial-frame-alist '((name . "arial") (top . 370) (left . 1) (width . 163) (height . 17)))

The width seems to be affected by what your default font is, especially whether it is proportional or not.

Ed