Re: arrow keys in the console

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: arrow keys in the console
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 19:22:32 +0200

Am 19.05.2007 um 16:59 schrieb Tyler Smith:

It's become apparent
that I need to read up on keymaps in Linux in general in order to
figure out which of my problems are in Emacs, which are in Debian, and
which are in the particular way i've configured each.

When I compare xterm.el and vt100.el with linux.el, then I see that linux.el does make any key bindings. Reason can be that every Linux distribution changes the TERMCAP entry every few months in a distribution personalised fashion, so it does not make any sense to create sensible key bindings.

The question is why anyone is using such a thing. Xterm can be a console, too, it only needs an X server and an option. Are you using this "linux" terminal device as a Linux virtual console? Isn't vi sufficient for a bit of editing in this situation?

--
Greetings

  Pete     === -Q