Re: Emacs accessing a mediawiki through an "automatice proxy configurati

From: Lukasz Stafiniak
Subject: Re: Emacs accessing a mediawiki through an "automatice proxy configuration url"?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 21:13:01 +0200

On 4/27/07, Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:

I've been thinking about a similar problem lately. I would like to be able to
update our company wiki from within emacs rather than from within another
browser and I'd like a nicer environment than you would get just inside a w3m
form text area.

A couple of things have come to mind. There is a wiki (PMWiki) which has an
emacs mode you can use to update the wiki. I've not tried it, but I suspect it
might be a good source of ideas for writing some mode that would work with our
company's wiki.

http://pmwiki-mode.sourceforge.net/ Source is not very elegant, but we
have quite a handful of features, and some more ideas waiting for yet
longer days ;-)
One thing is holding us from an official release, that is encoding
issues (handling of out-of-ascii characters).

One of the problems with wikis is that many have now incorporated extensions
beyond the basic/initial wiki markup. This makes a generic wiki mode unlikely.
However, there is also a lot of commonality which we should be able to exploit.

Our code is quite PMWiki specific...
And we don't yet heavily handle markup (just a bit of highlighting).
Some WYSIWYG is in the wish-list.

emacs 22 has the url package that use to be part of w3 and there are interfaces
to wget and curl, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a way of moving pages
in/out (there is also emacs webdav interface).

This is a very nice package, BUT it captures all redirections. I have
modified one of its functions not to follow redirections, just marking
them as such.

I expect it wouldn't be to hard to achieve a nice emacs based mode for editing
a wiki as long as that wiki isn't too feature rich.

An emacs mode is a must for any serious publishing, and emacs+wiki
makes a nice collaborative editing environment. For example,
pmwiki-mode handles edit conflicts with a three-way ediff (compare
buffers with ancestor).