Re: arrow keys in the console

From: Will Parsons
Subject: Re: arrow keys in the console
Date: 21 May 2007 12:03:54 GMT

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> When I compare xterm.el and vt100.el with linux.el, then I see that
> linux.el does make any key bindings. Reason can be that every Linux
> distribution changes the TERMCAP entry every few months in a
> distribution personalised fashion, so it does not make any sense to
> create sensible key bindings.
>
> The question is why anyone is using such a thing. Xterm can be a
> console, too, it only needs an X server and an option. Are you using
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This may not apply to the OP, but I'm surely not the only one who uses
Emacs frequently in situations where there *is* no X-server, not only
in Linux but also in FreeBSD and QNX.

> this "linux" terminal device as a Linux virtual console? Isn't vi
> sufficient for a bit of editing in this situation?

Not for me it isn't!  I do a *lot* of editing in a console.  As a matter
of fact, it was because I found myself working in an evironment without
X (under QNX) that I really starting using Emacs heavily, since I couldn't
use my previous editor of choice (NEdit).

- Will