Re: reftex-citation doesn't ask for pages

From: Gernot Hassenpflug
Subject: Re: reftex-citation doesn't ask for pages
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 21:34:14 +0900

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hi Ralf
>
> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 08:03:43AM +0200, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>> I don't think so, since that version does not even include
>> `reftex-cite-prompt-optional-args' as a variable.  Didn't you use the
>> documentation which was made for your particular version?  It is
>> accessible with `C-h i d m reftex RET'.
>
> You know, there is this licence problem with Debian and the Emacs
> documentation. I just came to know that the info files are
> available from the unfree repository. Before, I downloaded the reftex
> documentation from the project's homepage. Unfortunately, I have
> caught the wrong one.
>
> I think I will download reftex from CVS. Do you know if it's possible
> to install the package in a local home folder, altough an older of the
> same package version is already installed in the system wide
> site-lisp? Or would it be better to remove (or rename) the reftex
> folder in /usr/share/...?
>
> Thanks for the Infos

Hi, this is my info, from current emacs-snapshot-gtk for GNU/linux
Debian unstable for i386 architecture. Probably you will get it also
if you install.

,----
| Emacs is the extensible, customizable, self-documenting real-time
| display editor.  This Info file describes how to edit with Emacs and
| some of how to customize it; it corresponds to GNU Emacs version
| 22.0.95.
`----

My reftex version there, mmm, not given by the info file (maybe it
should be? like emacs and gnus say... if so, I might submit a bug
report), no reftex-* commands until I load the module usinga .tex
file, then I get

,----
| reftex-version is a variable defined in `reftex.el'.
| Its value is
| "RefTeX version 4.31"
`----

Looks good. No need to download and install. If you really do need to
add local stuff to replace built-in versions, probably a reasonable
way is as follows:

1. make a .emacs-<your package> file and put it in a directory that
you back up.

2. in that file, modify the load-path emacs uses (prepend). OK, I
suspect there are better ways.

3. load that file from the .emacs (.emacs.el{c}) local startup file.

Hope I don't incur too much wrath for that idea, but if so, the only
stupid question is the one not asked :-)
--
Grrr!!  ...Pick a reason...