Re: Correct Display of UTF-8-coded Compilation Warnings/Errors inside co

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Correct Display of UTF-8-coded Compilation Warnings/Errors inside compilation-mode
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 03:34:39 +0200

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:
> I am using the locale sv_SE.UTF-8 so GCC speaks my mother-tongue to
> me, which is very nice.
>
> How do I make compilation-mode read and respect this locale when I
> compile from within emacs, inside compilation-mode? My installation
> (latest CVS version of Emacs) interprets it iso-latin-1.

Put:

   (set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8)

in ~/.emacs

Or:

   (add-hook 'compilation-mode-hook
             (lambda () (set-process-coding-system 'utf-8)))

if you want to use utf-8 only for compiling, but I doubt it...

> I guess we should use the result of (getenv "LANG") to somehow setup
> the buffer-file-coding system.

That could help, but the situations are oftem more complex, you may
want to use different coding systems with different files or
processes...

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.