Re: customizing emacs windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: customizing emacs windows
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:21:16 +0300

> Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 13:22:59 +0200
> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
> CC:  help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >> Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 12:06:41 +0200
> >> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
> >> CC:  help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >>
> >> It looks like winner.el and winsav.el complement each other.
> >
> > To me it looks like saving the window configuration to a file is a
> > natural extension of a package that lets you save and restore window
> > configuration during a single session.
>

> Absolutely, from a logical point of view. Maybe also from a code point
> of view, but I doubt that a bit in this case. The data structures that
> winner.el is using is perhaps not feasable for save/restore, but maybe
> you think differently?

Lisp data structures are easily converted into plain text, and then a
buffer which holds that text can be saved to a disk file.  To restore,
you need only invoke the Lisp reader on the saved text.  How difficult
can that be?  There are already quite a few packages that do similar
things, like saveplace, for example.