Re: no-word.el fails on Windows NT

From: poti
Subject: Re: no-word.el fails on Windows NT
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 02:22:34 -0400

On 08:31 Fri 25 May     , Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:07:12 -0400
> > From: poti@potis.org
> >
> > >   (if file (setq file (shell-quote-argument file)))
> > >
> > > (this uses the quoting rules suitable for the underlying platform's
> > > shell).
> > >
> > > Note that there are 2 more instances of such quoting in no-word.el;
> > > you may wish to modify them as well.
> > >

> > I tried your suggestion. It failed in the same way.
>
> I assume you remembered to byte-compile the modified version and
> reload it (or restart Emacs).  If you did, then my analysis seems to
> be incorrect.  But I think the change I suggested is correct anyway.

I am burning Emacs to a DVD. I have placed no-word.el in site-lisp/
where it is loaded by site-start.el. It is possible that I got my
DVDs mixed up. I will check tomorrow. However, I did not byte-compile
this file. Is this necessary? I greatly appreciate your guidance on
this.

Though I have used Emacs for some time, I only started learning
about the inner workings this semester. It seemed to me that things
worked without byte-compiling. In fact, transplanting Emacs binaries from
foreign platforms seemed to work leading me to hope I might be able to
pay a speed penalty to save space on a cross-platform DVD.
If my assumptions are wrong, I would be grateful for advice on where
I should look to learn more. So far my main reading has been the
Emacs Lisp Reference Manual, mostly as needed to learn basic operations.

-Poti