Re: customizing emacs windows

From: Ivan
Subject: Re: customizing emacs windows
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 13:09:07 +0300

On петък, Май 25 2007, Tim X wrote:

> Ivan <ivanushka@yahoo.com> writes:

>> Thanks but, I refuse to beleive that the functionality I'm loooking
>> for does not exist in Emacs.
>>
>>> Rather than introduce a new and unbundled package, isn't it better
>>> to enhance the bundled winner.el?
>>
>> I read about winner-mode but I don't understand how to use it.
>
> AFAIK and understand what you are requesting, the functionality you
> want does not exist 'out of the box'. All the low level
> functionality exists, but not all put together in a nice high level
> package for end users. There are a number of such packages available
> which may or may not meet your needs, but as far as I know, none of
> them are yet bundled with emacs.

First, thanks for your messages. Sorry if I wasn't quite clear in my
request. I almost managed to achieve what I needed with simple
Emacs-commands. I defined a function in .emacs that opens buffers and
splits windows and I called that function on Emacs start. I used
commands such as split-window-vertically, find-file, other-window and
so on. It is not perfect because I have problems controlling which
window which buffer to display as one of the things I start is - run
Slime and Slime does some strange things with the windows. I also have
problems controlling windows's sizes.

My requirements are very simple for now - I need the Emacs frame
devided into several windows with particular sizes. Each window should
display a particular buffer.