Re: sql-postgresql authentication failure

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: sql-postgresql authentication failure
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 17:52:36 +1000

"Sebastian P. Luque" <spluque@gmail.com> writes:

> Surprisingly, if I don't supply anything in the "Server: " prompt, then I
> can connect.  Any clues what this means?

No, actually, I just found that out as well. I would have to look at the sql.el
sources to know for sure. However, I suspect that if you don't provide a
username, the function just sends the database name. If you provide nothing at
all, it tries to login to a database with the same name as the user. If you
provide a database, server, login name and password, it will try to connect
using all those parameters, which will only work if the database is configured
to allow that type of connection.

At any rate, at least you can now use sql.el to connect and interact with the
database.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au