Re: unicode path displays wrong in minibuffer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: unicode path displays wrong in minibuffer
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 23:40:25 +0300

> From: mopi <52hands@gmail.com>
> Date: 28 May 2007 12:21:14 -0700
>

> It seems that some characters are displayed wrong in the minibuffer
> when I save a file.
>
> In *Messages* buffer it displays correctly as:
> Wrote d:/- Johans/träning/2007.txt
>
> But in minibuffer the ä-character gets escaped:
> Wrote d:/- Johans/tr\344ning/2007.txt

I cannot reproduce this on my XP machine (with a different encoding of
non-ASCII characters, as I'm not in a 8859-15 locale).

Could you please try this in a fresh "emacs -Q", after you set
file-name-coding-system to iso-8859-15?

> (setq file-name-coding-system 'iso-8859-15)
> (setq file-name-coding-system 'utf-8)

Just wondering: why did you try UTF-8? \344 is clearly not a UTF-8
encoding.