Re: abbrevs, skeletons, and comments

From: nobrowser
Subject: Re: abbrevs, skeletons, and comments
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 21:44:09 -0700

Tim X wrote:
> nobrowser@gmail.com writes:
>
> > In a module I'm writing, I'd like to bind abbrevs to code skeletons,
> > similar to what is done e.g. by sml-mode.  But expanding the abbrevs
> > makes no sense when the point is inside a comment (or a string
> > literal).  So I'd like to conditionally stop expansion.  The main
> > opportunity for that seems to be pre-abbrev-expand-hook, but there are
> > only two ways it can stop an expansion: 1, throw an error, 2, change
> > the abbrev bindings (either by making changes in the current table or
> > by swapping in a whole new table). 1 is unacceptable - how many errors
> > before user gets mad and disables abbrevs altogether? 2, how to undo
> > the changes when the point leaves the comment or string?
> >

> maybe use an error handler that catches that specific error and ignores it?

Well, there's no point where I get control, that's the problem.
Abbrev expansion can be triggered just by the user typing a space or
period, if they have Abbrev minor mode on.

I see a way to do what I want.  It involves hooking both pre-abbrev-
expand-hook and post-command-hook.  I can restore the abbrev bindings
in the latter.  But I am afraid what this could do to Emacs speed or
even stability.

What I've decided on so far is I won't do anything by default (so
users who avoid Abbrev minor mode are not penalized) and have a
customize flag that turns on the above solution.

Other suggestions still welcome.