Re: Emacs like jed

From: mowgli
Subject: Re: Emacs like jed
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 22:10:08 -0000

On Jun 3, 8:06 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: mowgli <knowledgel...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 00:37:59 -0000
>
> > If I list display colors in emacs on console, it lists jsut plain 8
> > colors. Thats all it supports on console? Howcome?
>
> What version of Emacs do you have?  The (just released) Emacs 22.1
> supports much more, up to 256, if the console declares their support
> in its termcap/terminfo entry.

My version is 21.4.1 on Debian Etch. I searched for backports but
Emacs 22 isn't available there for Debian it seems. But can you throw
some light on how to check if my termcap supports 256 colors or not
and how to make it support it?

> > And Jed is able to support bright colors even on console?
>
> Emacs supports bright colors as well, except that it uses them for
> emphasis (bold text).  If the terminfo entry says the console can do
> bright and bold, Emacs uses that.

Bright white looks good for normal text, atleast to me.

BTW, what is the best feature of Emacs 22 that isn't there in Emacs
21?

Regards,
mowgli