Re: shell-mode - make it stop!!!

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: shell-mode - make it stop!!!
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 14:06:18 +1200

 > > So it looks like the default has changed. Something along the lines of
 > >
 > > (setq comint-scroll-show-maximum-output nil)
 >
 > Yep, I finally managed to find that after posting the message,
 > but now I have another one that apparently is unfixable: I
 > find the idiotic mouse-face stuff in the shell totally
 > disconcerting when I happen to move the cursor around and
 > everything starts flashing on and off. Judging
 > from the code in comint.el, it just unconditionally sets the
 > face for things like input just sent.

You could also read the section about how to report a bug effectively.

 > Is there any config to turn that off, or is it time to
 > hack up my own copy of comint.el with the add-text-properties
 > calls which set mouse-face ripped out?

You need to remember that there can be two reasons for a program not to work as
you would expect: either the software is idiotic, or the user is.  If it's the
former then a patch would be most welcome.

One way to "make it stop" is not to use it.