Re: Name of the active buffer

From: Robert D. Crawford
Subject: Re: Name of the active buffer
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 06:09:38 -0500

hfleming <hfleming38@gmail.com> writes:

> Suppose I want to run, from emacs, the program "prog" with the active buffer,
> "buffer", say, as argument.
> Of course I can do "Meta-! prog buffer". Some editors, however, have a
> default name for the active buffer. In vi, for instance, one can do ":! prog
> %" . In ultraedit, the buffer is called "%f". How can we do that in emacs?

Maybe this is what you are looking for:

buffer-name is a built-in function in `C source code'.
(buffer-name &optional BUFFER)

Return the name of BUFFER, as a string.
With no argument or nil as argument, return the name of the current buffer.

rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.