Re: Prevent Info Screen on Emacs Startup

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: Prevent Info Screen on Emacs Startup
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 09:09:57 -0400

My standard answer to startup complaints is to use the emacs client/server model. Start up emacs once and then leave it running forever as a server. Edit new files using the emacs client.

This solves all the typical "slow startup" complaints as well as your splash screen issue.

Joe Hesse wrote:
I have emacs 22.0.990.1.  Using Fedora 7 with Gnome.

When I start emacs from a command shell under Gnome, like:
$ emacs myfile.txt &
the emacs editor starts with an info screen. I can get rid of the info screen with ctrl-l.

I would prefer that this info screen not be there and I am immediately editing myfile.txt. How do I do this?