Re: hook into change of position?

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: Re: hook into change of position?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:38:57 +0200

troelskn <troelskn@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks. After some experiments, I ended up writing wrappers explicitly
> for the functions, which I need to extend. I can't help feeling, that
> there is some smarter way of accomplishing this, though.

It's not necessarily bad; many modes define their own movement commands.
You still haven't told exactly what you are doing, so I cannot tell.

> (defun my-end-of-line (&optional arg)
>   ""
>   (interactive "p")
>   (setq mark-active nil)
>   (end-of-line arg)
>   (my-hook-function))

Maybe this was only example code, but I'll point out anyway that it's in
bad style. Use descriptive names and write a documentation string, so
that one can at least guess what the function does.

> I'm not even sure, that the (optional) argument `arg` will be passed
> on correctly to the wrapped function `end-of-line`

What makes you think that? Did you try it?