Re: emacs 22.1 only starts in terminal

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: emacs 22.1 only starts in terminal
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:07:19 +1000

flebber <flebber.crue@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> I recently installed Emacs 22.1 from source on a PclinuxOs 2007
> install. The install went well apparently without errors. However the
> only way I can use  emacs is through  a konsole or xterm  session . I
> also tried to make a menu entry for emacs in the menu editor (I am
> using KDE) , I simply put the command entry as 'emacs' however this
> fails to work at all. Will emacs only work as part of a terminal
> session or is there something else I should do.  I am going to try it
> on my Debian(Etch) install later.

Sounds like you have failed to build emacs with X support. Emacs 22 supports
two GUI libraries - the traditional X toolkit/motif libraries we are all
familiar with and GTK+. While the configure program will try to select one of
these, you need to have the necessary development libs for X/GTK installed. You
should also pass the appropriate switches to configure (i.e. x-toolkit=...) and
make sure that the output from configure actually finds things, like the dev
libs for the GUI widgets you want to build with etc.

I would suggest you read the documentation carefully and not just follow the
'quick start' - there are lots of options, such as support for sound, support
for various image types, font types, etc. It is important to check the output
from configure to make sure all the necessary libraries and programs are found.

Tim

P.S. If you plan to do this on Debian and you want to have the same sort of
integration as you do with Debain versions of emacs, don't forget to update the
startup.el file so that it sets the debian-emacs-flavor variable and knows
where to find and load the necessary debian startup stuff. Remember you need to
do this 'before' building emacs to ensure these changes are in the image the
build process dumps.

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au