Re: edit .emacs and then ....

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: edit .emacs and then ....
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:11:37 -0400

Joel J. Adamson wrote:
Ken Goldman <kgold@watson.ibm.com> writes:

David wrote:

This is a real newby question. I have a load of buffers in emacs and I
edit .emacs with some new cool macro or what ever. To get the new code
working I could close and restart emacs, but I will have to re-load
every buffer. Is there an easy way to either 1) get the new lisp code
working without closing and reopening, or 2) close and reopen and
still have all the same buffers available so I don't have to open
easch manually.

Put your cursor at the end of the statement, and then ...

C-x C-e runs the command eval-last-sexp

That's the simplest way: others are

M-x eval-buffer RET
M-x load-file RET ~/.emacs

Rerunning the entire file can cause problems. Some code may not be idempotent - it does different things if you run it more than once. An example would be code that appends.