Re: File manipulation in elisp?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: File manipulation in elisp?
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:59:16 -0400

In article <1182370747.377086.236690@a26g2000pre.googlegroups.com>,
 Trastabuga <lispercat@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 20, 3:05 pm, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> > > Is there an API for file management in elisp without opening files in
> > > buffers?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > > directory. So every time I compile a project, as a post-build step I
> > > want to look for some pre-defined file in the directory, read its
> > > content, evaluate the content into elisp and execute it.
> >
> > How 'bout just using `load'?
> >
> >         Stefan
>
> Thank you Stefan, that works.
> I wonder is there any reason there is no such API for file
> manipulation? No use for it?

Because it would be an enormous amount of work to replicate all the
operations you can do on buffers in a file API.  And to implement most
of these things would require copying the file into memory, just like
opening the file into a buffer.  For instance, most filesystems don't
provide any way to insert and delete directly in files, you can only
overwrite them.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA