Re: Which is the best java plugin for emacs?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Which is the best java plugin for emacs?
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 13:55:55 +1000

"lu@luxdo.jp" <lu@luxdo.jp> writes:

> Which is the best java plugin for emacs?
> JDEE?
> It seems there is no new version for 2 years,
> and it seems the jdee for emacs have not been
> updated for nearly 2year.
> It is a good idea that gnu take over the development
> of jdee because jdee seems dead.

So what problems have you found with the current version?

I'm asking as there is a growing belief these days that if a package isn't
updated every few months, then it must be dead and unsupported. While I can
understand how this perception can arise, its not necessarily correct. For
example, it may be that the current state of JDEE is fine and works as expected
without any bugs.

Its been over 7 years since I ran JDEE and although I'd hoped to avoid having
to do further Java development, it looks like a new Java based project is about
to land on my desk. If there are issues with the current JDEE version, I'd like
to know.

On the issue of it being taken over by GNU - thats not always an easy or viable
option. A lot will depend on how well the JDEE developers tracked code
contributions and how easily the copyright can be handed over to GNU. There are
a number of examples of packages which the GNU Emacs team wanted to put into
Emacs, but have not been able to because the original author has not been
available to sign over copyright etc. Given the financial costs of defending
even rediculous copyright claims (think SCO and Linux), the FSF are rightfully
very careful about these issues.

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au