Locating the default colors used by emacs

From: tigerleopard
Subject: Locating the default colors used by emacs
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 23:31:46 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to find out where the color information from emacs is located. I
looked into the .emacs
file from my user and the root, but both are empty. Someone told me to look
into the Xdefault, but my distribution doesn't have it. I know that I can
put the colors settings in the .emacs file, but the thing is that I don't
know the color that I want. What I want to do, is to copy the foreground and
background colors being used by root to my user.
So, I want to know if there is a specific file that store some standard
colors in the case of the .emacs files being empty, or if this is
distribution dependent.
Or, if there is a command that shows the colors being used.
And one thing that I have curiosity about, is why when I give a su to obtain
administrative privileges, emacs starts with the same colors than my user,
unlike when I login from the beginning as root.
Thanks in advance for all the help.