Re: Root Session - from Shell command

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Root Session - from Shell command
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:37:39 +1000

flebber <flebber.crue@gmail.com> writes:

> I want to, or am trying to edit my grub menu in emacs so am trying to
> login as root from the shell command within emacs. Is this possible ?
>
> I keep receiving the message -
>
> standard in must be a tty.
>
> I am launching emacs largely from the Kmenu.
>
> Workaround :
> I can have emacs as a root session if I start konsole and su to root
> from there and then launch emacs.
> So maybe I need to edit my bash profile to allow emacs access to the
> shell ???

The easiest way to edit files owned by another user, such as root, from within
your normal emacs session is to use tramp (which is now bundled with emacs 22).
You then just do a normal 'find-file' and use the following syntax -

/root@localhost:/path/to/file

you will be prompted for the password.

Tim

--