Re: emacs tags

From: David Golden
Subject: Re: emacs tags
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 15:26:48 +0100

JyotiC wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry if this is already discussed.
>
> I want to use tags in emacs, i have file TAGS, but its very small,
> where as there is another file tags which is huge.
> But when i give tags file, it says its not as valid tag table.
>
> The same file works on VI.

That's because vi's tags format is different to emacs,
so it is indeed not a valid emacs tags table.

> How can i have something like for emacs.

It sounds like your "TAGS" file hasn't been generated right
for your project but your "tags"  file has - usually they end
up very roughly the same size (TAGS a bit larger)
and you use nearly the same commands to make them (ctags
for vi, etags for emacs)

So, regenerate your TAGS file - sometimes projects
will have a "make TAGS" makefile target to do this for you
(especially complex ones where a naive find might
pull in weird stuff you don't want) - but if not, it's
usually a one-liner anyway, perhaps along  the lines of

find . -name "*.[chCH]" -print | etags -

(This is in the emacs manual...)