Re: Linux newbe

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: Linux newbe
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 15:37:34 +0200

On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 02:29:54PM +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 08.07.2007 um 04:47 schrieb Charles Goodrich:
>
> >I am used to black letters on a white background,
>
> On Linux you can use X Resources (look into the GNU Emacs manual,
> i.e. C-h i m Emacs and then search for the "Command Line Options and
> Arguments" node), which are organised in files like ~/.Xdefaults or
> ~/.Xresources (depends on the actual code in ~/.xinit or similiar
> files (~/.xstart?) which set up the X11 environment).  ~/.Xdefaults
> or ~/.Xresources can #include other files with set X application
> defaults. A lot "templates" exist in directories like /usr/X11R6/lib/
> X11/app-defaults or /usr/X11R7/share/X11/app-defaults.

An easier way is to install the meta-package emacs-goodies which is part of the
Ubuntu main repository. It contains the package color-theme. You
configure it by inserting to your .emacs:

(require 'color-theme)
(color-theme-dark-blue2)

"dark-blue2" ist the name of a certain color theme included in the
package. You have to replace that with the name of your chosen
theme. You can have a preview of all contained color themes with

M-x color-theme TAB TAB

I'm sure you will find one that suits your needs.

Greetings,

Sven