Re: Need some debugging advice ??

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Need some debugging advice ??
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:01:06 +0300

> From: William Case <billlinux@rogers.com>
> Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 18:49:26 -0400
>
> I am looking for advice on learning to use gdb, GUD and friends,
> particularly for 'C'.  I have just read Info re: GUD and gdb, as well as
> the RedHat gdb manual, and 'man' gdb.

Then you've covered most of the preliminaries and are now ready to get
your hands dirty with some experience.

> My confusion is now complete.

I hope the confusion is just an irony, and not a result of reading
confusing documentation.  If it's the latter, please be sure to report
any confusion as documentation bugs to the appropriate forums.

> I was thinking of starting in a raw terminal using basic gdb commands
> until I had figured out how they work, then graduate to gdb/GUD.  Is
> this a good idea?

Yes, it's an excellent idea.  That's what I did at the time, and I'd
do it again if I had to start anew.

Good luck!