Re: Execute permission on Windows XP emacs 22.1

From: Pete Gillin
Subject: Re: Execute permission on Windows XP emacs 22.1
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 16:03:53 +0100

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 05:42:24PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Emacs doesn't maintain any of these bits, it just calls the `umask'
> in the Windows library. It's `umask' that maintains the bits, and as
> explained above, the Windows implementation only maintains two bits:
> 200 and 400.

Okay, that makes sense.

> So now that we established the reasons for what you saw, is there
> some real problem where this (mis)behavior gets in your way? If the
> problem is the Cygwin port of SVN client, then either it has some
> workaround for this, or it really means you to use only Cygwin
> programs (which presumably manipulate the permissions through the
> Windows Security API). Or maybe you can find a native Windows port
> of SVN client, that will not pay attention to the security
> information.

Adding new files using the cygwin port of svn is the only time this
causes a problem for me. It's not a big deal, so if the only fix is
for emacs to start using the more advanced API and that's not likely
to happen soon then I'll live with it.

(I could use the native Windows svn client, but (for various reasons)
the convenience of the cygwin version outweighs the minor
inconvenience of having to unset the executable bit on new files. Or I
guess I could try the cygwin port of emacs which might go through
cygwin and so control the full permissions properly, but I don't
always use emacs from cygwin and I don't want to confuse myself with
two different versions.)

Glad we've cleared that up. Thank you.

Pete.