Re: Gnu emacs under Windows: .emacs and _emacs and savehist

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Gnu emacs under Windows: .emacs and _emacs and savehist
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:16:50 +0200

Am 11.07.2007 um 18:25 schrieb Murray Eisenberg:

I did get save desktop working by putting

  (desktop-save-mode 1)

into my .emacs.

Some description in the Emacs manual under "Saving Emacs Sessions."

But what is "save-session"? I tried finding that in help, but it tells me no match. (And searching on functions beginning "save" turns up no match, either, for "save-session" or "savesession", etc.)

Ah, sorry: it's just session.el (mixed with desktop):

      (setq desktop-globals-to-save '(desktop-missing-file-warning))
(setq desktop-dirname (format "~/.emacs.d/PDesktop-%d" emacs- major-version)) ; multi-version
      (require 'session)                                ; "load" session
      (add-hook 'after-init-hook 'session-initialize)   ; init
      (unless (string-match "Step 8" mEV)             ; elderly Emacs
        (unless buffer-read-only
          (delete-trailing-whitespace))                 ; convenient for *me*
        (desktop-save-mode 1)
        (setq session-save-file-coding-system 'utf-8-unix))     ; dito
      (setq desktop-base-file-name "emacs.desktop")   ; useless?
      (setq session-save-file
(format "%s/Psession-%d" desktop-dirname emacs-major- version)) ; multi-version

Save-hist has to do with saving mini-buffer contents. I have no experience with this (I am not knowingly using it). Could be it means that when you enter the mini-buffer (not the echo area) you have a history of previous commands by using the up and down keys (including some extras!). It might be that you see only replace or only shell- command or only whatever commands you did before depending on the way you entered mini-buffer. Just try a few things with M-x!

--
Greetings

  Pete

"engineer: a mechanism for converting caffeine into designs"