Re: Gnu emacs under Windows: .emacs and _emacs and savehist

From: Murray Eisenberg
Subject: Re: Gnu emacs under Windows: .emacs and _emacs and savehist
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:52:44 -0400

Drew Adams wrote:
[Murray Eisenberg wrote:]
 So here's the relevant portion of my file ~/.emacs:

   (require 'savehist)
   (setq savehist-file "~/.emacs.d/history")
   (setq savehist-length 1000)
   (savehist-load)
   (setq savehist-mode 1)

IIUC, savehist-load and savehist-mode do the same thing. savehist-mode
replaces savehist-load, which is now obsolete. If your version of
savehist.el defines savehist-mode, then you should not need to use
savehist-load.

Second, you should turn on the mode by using the mode function (command),
`savehist-mode', not by setting the mode variable, `savehist-mode'....

FYI, I do (only) this, in my _emacs:

(require 'savehist)
(savehist-mode 1)

OK, I've pared my manual additions to .emacs relevant to savehist to:

  (require 'savehist)
  (setq savehist-file "~/.emacs.d/history")

So should I delete is the following part of .emacs, which was automatically inserted when I was doing configuration by pressing some buttons:

 (custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(savehist-mode t nil (savehist)))

--
Murray Eisenberg                     murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.