Re: tex mode sub- and super-scripts

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: tex mode sub- and super-scripts
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:48:31 -0400

> I just upgraded to Fedora 7, which means I got upgraded from
> emacs-21 to emacs-22. Now I find that when I edit a TeX file,
> all subscripts (TeX _{xxx}) and superscripts (TeX ^{xxx})
> are rendered in small type, lowered or raised on the line.

> Since TeX is a markup language not a WYSIWYG application
> this is not helpful to the readability of the TeX source.

Sorry!

> How do I switch off this new behavior, while keeping the syntactic
> color highlighting (font lock) that is helpful when composing TeX?

In Emacs's builtin tex-mode, there's no config var to do that.
You can do it with the following hack:

(eval-after-load "tex-mode" '(fset 'tex-font-lock-suscript 'ignore))

In AUCTeX (and Emacs-CVS thanks to AUCTeX's maintainer) you can do it by
customizing some faces and vars (e.g. superscript face and
tex-font-script-display var or something like that).

        Stefan "100% guilty of implementing this (mis)feature"