Re: Interacting between dvi and latex in emacs.

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: Interacting between dvi and latex in emacs.
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:47:52 +0200

Hi David

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 05:09:48PM +0200, David wrote:
> Hi, I have heard a rumour of some software for Mac where you can click
> on your dvi file and cursor moves to the corresponding location in the
> tex file. Does anyone know how to get this sort of interaction between
> dvi and emacs run on Linux?

That's easy. This feature is called forward and inverse search. It's
explained in the AucTeX manual. If you use auctex just hit C-c C-t C-s
(I don't know if this also works within the build-in tex mode). This
enables the TeX-source-specials. With the source-specials on, Emacs
will start xdvi with further options. xdvi will start displaying the
page where the point is set in Emacs (forward search). When you click
any line in xdvi simultaneously pressing Ctrl you return to Emacs with
the point on the corresponding paragraph. This works also with other
dvi viewers, but you have to configure them to use emacs server for
inverse search.

Bye,

Sven