define-skeleton and define-abbrev simple example mystery, `w' -> `wxT(""

From: Enselic
Subject: define-skeleton and define-abbrev simple example mystery, `w' -> `wxT("")' newline-and-indents? Why?
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:49:04 -0700

Hello,

if you evaluate

  (define-skeleton wx-string
    "" nil
    "wxT(\"" _ "\")")

  (define-abbrev global-abbrev-table "w" "" 'wx-string)

And switch buffer to *scratch*, then on a new line type

  s o m e SPC w o r d M-b w SPC

the result will be

  some wxT("")
  word

instead of

  some wxT("") word

and I fail to understand why. It seems to do a newline-and-indent
without any > or any \n in the skeleton.

I have read documentation and tried different variants of the define-
skeleton, but I seem to be missing something.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Thank you,
- Martin Nordholts