Re: how to sort words in a line

From: Rainer Stengele
Subject: Re: how to sort words in a line
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:25:14 +0200

Mathias Dahl schrieb:
> Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@online.de> writes:
>
>> Wow! Thats quite a piece of code for a not-yet Lisp programmer.
>> Coming from perl this would be a simple one-liner doing the work.
>
> Well, what is a one-liner? I mean, behind each one-liner in perl lies
> probably a lot of code that implements that feature in perl. The
> difference here is that the particular feature you wanted wasn't
> implemented in Emacs. Yet.
>
>> Don't misunderstand me - I understand the power and flexibility of
>> elisp in emacs. I just wonder if there is not a built in solution.
>
> Some day maybe someone will propose this command to be added to Emacs
> and then it will be "built-in"... :)
>
> And, if you paste Pascal's example into your .emacs file it will, for
> all practical purposes, built-in.

agreed. for any more than trivial function this is the way to go.
for "simple" functions I'd like to have them available "in the wild",
finding an emacs and not having my .emacs with me ...

comes down to decide whats a simlpe enough function to have it built in.

BTW Thank everybody who is maintaining a wonderful EMACS!