Re: Emacs Lisp Q: Switch Emacs Frame Between Current/Original FVWM Deskt

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp Q: Switch Emacs Frame Between Current/Original FVWM Desktop?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:29:44 +1000

Edward <edward.dodge@gmail.com> writes:

> I recently realized you can send Elisp commands to an Emacs session
> (with a running server) using the following shell command:
>
> emacsclient -n -e "(iconify-or-deiconify-frame)"
>
> It's nice to be able to iconify or deiconify Emacs from the command
> line by setting the above command to an easy-to-type alias,  but I'd
> really like to do something a little more useful.  I want to bring
> Emacs to my current FVWM2 desktop and then send it back to its
> original desktop when I'm done,  something like (thisdesktop-or-
> thatdesktop-frame).  Anyone know a nice,   elegant way to accomplish
> this?  Thanks in advance.

What you want to do is really a function of the window manager rather than
emacs. I'm not familiar with fvm2, but I would be checking its docs and
possibly asking on a specific fvwm2 forum.

regards,

Tim

P.S. Note that it is possible to control your window manager from within emacs.
for example, sawfish makes it fairly easy for you to call custom window manager
code (written in 'rep') to manipulate the window manager. However, if what you
want to do is send a command to bring emacs to the current frame/workspace and
then issue another command to warp it back to where it was, its the window
manager you need to interact with, not emacs.

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au