Re: Why emacs have not native language menu

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Why emacs have not native language menu
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:30:05 +0200

Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion@mx6.tiki.ne.jp> writes:

> On 24 juil. 07, at 19:05, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>

>> Am 24.07.2007 um 02:17 schrieb Jean-Christophe Helary:
>>
>>> What is the technical issue with emacs ?
>>
>> The texts are spread over hundred and more files. It's not only
>> menu entries and menu titles, it's also necessary to translate the
>> customisation buffers, the description of functions and variables.
>
> This is not really a technical issue. Because there are ways to
> identify the strings to localize. I am more specifically asking about
> this.
>
>> And once the act of translation is achieved: how do you describe a
>> problem with entry 5 of menu 3? By using the French names? By
>> counting? What when the order is changed? What when someone
>> decides, according to writing direction, to order the menus from
>> right to left?
>
> I understand what you are saying but that is exactly the case for all
> the other localized software packages.
>
> GNU has developped gettext but one of the flagship applications of
> the GNU project is not localized at all...

But emacs is not an application!

emacs is a programming language with a library for textual user interfaces.

Asking for a localization of emacs is the same as asking for a
localization of C++.  Where do you start, and where do you stop???

The only realistic thing you could do, is if you are developing an
application in emacs (let say a new mail user agent), to localize this
application.

"Remember, Information is not knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom;
Wisdom is not truth; Truth is not beauty; Beauty is not love;
Love is not music; Music is the best." -- Frank Zappa