Re: Why emacs have not native language menu

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Why emacs have not native language menu
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:07:47 -0400

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion@mx6.tiki.ne.jp>
> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 23:00:28 +0900
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > why don't you propose something, after studying things a bit?
> > then when people say "there are technical issues" you will know
> > what they are talking about because you will have come to
> > understand the (in)applicable techniques.
>
> No because the people who pretend that there are technical issues or
> that "it is impossible" do not make sense in the first place.

People are entitled to their views, even if those views are
incorrect, exactly as you are entitled to yours.  But don't take
everything that's written in this thread as official opinion of Emacs
maintainers.

> It is not the technical issues that are (not) discussed here, but the
> mere idea of localizing emacs.
>
> I think it is more a psychological issue than a technical issue right
> now.

The idea of localizing Emacs is accepted by the maintainers.  It's the
difficulties of implementing this that prevented it from happening
until now.  And there _are_ difficulties, Thien-Thi Nguyen is right in
suggesting that you study the issues first (e.g., by reading past
discussion on the Emacs development list) before dismissing those
difficulties as ``psychological''.

In any case, this forum is not the right place for serious discussion
of such issues.  If you really want to discuss the technical
difficulties and how to overcome them, come to emacs-devel (but please
read past discussions first, to avoid reiterating old arguments).

> It would be better if people who are not interested in localization
> stop replying to this thread and let others discuss possibilities.

You cannot stop people from talking in a public forum.  Just stop
responding to messages that you think are not discussing the real
aspects of the problem.