Re: Why emacs have not native language menu

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Why emacs have not native language menu
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:40:09 +0200

Am 24.07.2007 um 17:52 schrieb William Case:

On the other side, the Canadian government requires that most equipment
purchased by the Federal Government come with French documentation as
well as English.  Those francophone friends of mine who work on and
maintain that equipment (from computers to fighter planes) confess that
they always use the English manuals.  They say they do so because the
original manuals tend to be more accurate than the translated manuals
and because just sharing one manual at work insures that they see any
hand written notes or update memos.

That's correct! I once helped to translate a short German documentation into English. I had to ask the authors half a dozen times what they were trying to express with these or those words. They were writing in my and their native language and they were writing on a topic me and them completely understood – however when you have to be exact it happens easily that you find the original work ambiguous, and even a professional translator would not be able to improve the resulting document, quite contrary. Then it's better to go back to the first version – hoping it was written by experts.

Localising GNU Emacs is a challenge, even for those who understand Lisp, computers, and humans.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Real Time, adj.:
Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there and then.