Re: emacs22: lost iso-accents-mode

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: Re: emacs22: lost iso-accents-mode
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 19:59:58 +0200

ryofurue@gmail.com writes:

>   I read the "emacs" entry of info on my emacs22 and
> found a statement that you can input European accented characters with
> "M-x iso-accents-mode" .  Then, how can I know that iso-accents-mode
> is obsolete?

Perhaps you're using an old version of the Emacs manual? I can't find
iso-accents-mode mentioned anywhere in the current manual or FAQ.

> And, the alternative is . . . ?  I looked into the NEWS file of
> emacs22,
> but I didn't find any mention to iso-accents-mode:
>
>   $ egrep -i accents /usr/share/doc/emacs22-common/etc/NEWS
>   $
>
> I might have been looking at a wrong file. . . .

Assuming the NEWS file is up to date, it's in the "Obsolete and deleted
packages" section:

    iso-acc.el is now obsolete.  Use one of the latin input methods
    instead.

To select an input method, use C-\ (toggle-input-method). I believe
latin-1-prefix is the closest to iso-accents-mode.