Re: Crash when starting an external process

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Crash when starting an external process
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 20:02:18 +1000

Robert Woodworth <woodworth@speakeasy.net> writes:

> Did that, however, emacs is exiting *normally*.   So there is nothing in
> the BackTrace.
>
> Something is telling emacs to quit when I issue a shell command.
>
> I have yet to really look at the source code, but if anyone out there
> knows what file has the routine for the shell commands, I could put a
> breakpoint there and watch it.  Or if there is just a way to turn on all
> debug printfs.
>

> BTW:  I have eliminated anything in the .emacs and system file by
> repeating the issue with --debug-init and --no-init-file --no-site-file

Are you running emacs from X, from within a X terminal or from the console?
Have you been able to reproduce the problem in all three above situations?

The reason I asked is that it *could* be something in the shell you are running
emacs within - possibly setting something that is affecting signal handling
or some environment variable thats being inherited etc.

Its a very long shot, but I do remember once having problems with a program
that was just exiting and giving no indication of any problem. It turned out
that a script in a parent shell was setting something via a command line switch
(I wish I could remember exactly what it was) that caused the program to exit
abruptly. While its unlikely this is the problem in your case, it might be
worth running emacs under the different scenarios and maybe even running it
under different shells to see if you get the same behavior.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au