Re: How to use etags-select

From: Rafal Kurcz
Subject: Re: How to use etags-select
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:32:12 -0700

On 24 Lip, 18:55, Scott Frazer <scfra...@cisco.com> wrote:
> Rafal Kurcz wrote:
>
> I've updated etags-select to work with the different tag types generated
> by etags.  See the wiki page ...
>
> Scott
Now the numbering of tags is very, very useful. Below are my
conclusions about using etags-select:
1. It is very nice that it takes advantage of searchable mini buffer -
especially in case of the long list of tags.
2. How to force etags-select to be case-sensitive.
  I've setup (setq tags-case-fold-search nil) and it works for M-. but
unfortunately it does not work in etags-select.
  It is very important when browsing C/C++ code.
3. It would be very nice to show more information in the list of tags.
  For example VIM uses the following format to show the list of tags
generated by "exuberent-ctags -R":

 # pri kind tag               file
  1 FSC m    speed             class.cpp
               struct:Plane
               int speed;
  2 FSC f    speed             class.cpp
               class:Car
               void speed () {return;}
  3 F C f    speed             class.cpp
               struct:Bike
               int speed () {return 10;}
  4 F C f    speed             class.cpp
               char speed (char c) {return c;}
Choice number (<Enter> cancels):

The source code for above example looks like:

lass Car {
  void speed () {return;}
};

struct Bike {
  int speed () {return 10;}
};

struct Plane {
  int speed;
};

char speed (char c) {return c;}

I can see that it works partially for TAGS generated by etags from
emacs but does not work for TAGS generated by "exuberent-ctags -e -R".
I guess that for the sake of convinience it is better to have each tag
description in a single line.

Thank You for help