Re: Search waht is under the cursor

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Search waht is under the cursor
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:46:29 +0200

+ Rafal Kurcz <pawlaczus@yahoo.com>:

| Hello
| I would like to search the string that is currently under the cursor.
| It should do something very similar to C-s and C-r but take the string
| that is currently under the cursor as a default search pattern.
|
| Do you know how to do that ?

You mean, like C-s C-w ?  It may not be exactly what you describe, but
could be just what you want.  I use it all the time.  Each C-w (can be
used anytime during an incremental search) incorporates one more word
into the search term.  Try it.

Another useful thing is to type M-p during an incremental search. That
turns off searching temporarily, and lets you edit the search string
in the minibuffer (actually, it invokes a history mechanism using M-p
and M-n).  You can then yank copied text into the search string, edit
to your heart's content and hit C-s to turn searching back on.

  -- Bertrand Russell