RE: Isearch functionality

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Isearch functionality
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:59:27 -0700

> I'd like to implement a command inside isearch that deletes the
> current match _from the buffer_ (not from the search string)
>
> This would be very useful since many times the search string you are
> looking for is exactly what you want to remove, and it may be
> something inside a word, so you can't just end isearch and do a kill
> word. Do you get me ?
>
> Anyway, I'd really appreciate some tips on how to implement this.
> Maybe one could search the buffer for the specific type of overlay for
> current match??

Any of these ways:

1. End Isearch when you find what you want to delete. Then `C-@ C-r C-r'.

2. Use isearch+.el. You can choose to end Isearch with the search target
selected.

3. Use Icicles search, and replace search hits on the fly (with nothing, in
this case).

For #1 and #2, just hit C-w to delete the search hit, or, if you use
`delete-selection-mode', just hit Backspace.

#1 and #2 require you to exit Isearch; #3 lets you delete any number of
selected search hits without exiting search.

For #2: see http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/IsearchPlus.

For #3: see
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Search_Commands%2c_Overview,
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Search-And-Replace.