Re: a beginner's emacs troubles

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: a beginner's emacs troubles
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 01:41:35 -0000

On Aug 1, 1:45 am, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:

> See user option `backward-delete-char-untabify-method'.

OK, my final tab setting in my .emacs is as follows:

(setq c-tab-always-indent nil)
(global-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'self-insert-command)
(setq-default tab-width 8
              standard-indent 8
              indent-tabs-mode t)
(setq backward-delete-char-untabify-method nil)

Now, in c-mode, in a function, I press tab, and it inserts a tab. I
start typing "exec", it's still fine, then as I open a paranthesis to
write the function call, everything's ruined again!

> Just a suggestion: It's your understanding of TAB in Emacs that you need to
> improve, if you want to be able to use Emacs to your advantage. ;-)

Well, it's a habit of 10 years by now. It's not easy to change habits
easily ;) What I expect is simply the behavior of nano; I'm shocked
that it's such a struggle to achieve it in emacs.