Re: Emacs + python

From: Bruno Desthuilliers
Subject: Re: Emacs + python
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:58:23 +0200

Hadron a écrit :
Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.

There's a python-mode distributed with Python[1]. It of course takes care of indentation and syntax-hiliting, but also allows to run a Python interpreter in another buffer, and to send either the whole or part of the python file you're editing to it.

pdb is also well integrated : you have the pdb prompt in the Python interpreter buffer, and sync with the current line in the python file's buffer.

If you want to turn your emacs into a full-blown IDE, just add ECB (Emacs Code browser) to the mix, and you'll have files and code explorer too.

[1] latest emacs version also have one which I haven't tested yet - does someone knows the differences BTW ?.