Re: Emacs + python

From: Alexander Schmolck
Subject: Re: Emacs + python
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:45:56 +0100

Hadron <hadronquark@googlemail.com> writes:

> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.
>
> Any help and shared experiences much appreciated.

Download and install ipython, python-mode.el, ipython.el. It will, amongst
other things, give you

a) debugger integration (try ``debug`` after an uncaught exception; also try
   ``pdb on``). I find this fantastically useful
b) tab completion, convenient help (``?some_object``), editing the source code
   corresponding to the definition of some object ``ed some_object``
c) convenient shell access and caputuring of output of shell commands into
   python string-lists and strings

I don't read gnu.emacs.help, so I won't read followups there.

HTH,

'as