Re: mthesaur v synonyms

From: Hadron
Subject: Re: mthesaur v synonyms
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 13:45:54 +0200

>> > at point, into the minibuffer as your input. Edit it if you like, before
>> > hitting RET.
>> >
>> > If you also use Icicles, and you want the default value to _always_ be
>> > inserted in the minibuffer as the initial input, then customize
>> > `icicle-init-value-flag' to `insert'. I personally prefer that
>> > behavior, but I think most people do not.
>>
>> Any command which replies on word-at-point should default it IMO.
>
> Not sure what you mean.

When the prompt comes up it should be there (just a general note - the
icicle-init-value-flag did it for me).

>> I have now got icicles ( cant say I like it at first attempt -
>> there's a lot there :)) and set the flag as above and its much
>> better. Although if something is pre-selected then typing should
>> erase it, not append to it. That would be a nice fix.
>
> Use `delete-selection-mode' to type over selected text (region).

Heh. Emacs. Wonderful. Although it should be the default IMO.

> To automatically have the initial value be preselected in the minibuffer,
> use `preselect-start' or `preselect-end' as the value of
> `icicle-init-value-flag', depending on where you want the cursor to
> be.

Yeah, did that and it works fine.

> I use `insert' as the value, because I don't want the initial input
> preselected. I generally edit it only slightly - I don't want to replace it
> entirely.

The default in most apps when you tab or select a field is to hilite the
word. If you want to edit then cursor in. Just a preference, but the
wonderful configuration here allows all flavours. Impressive.

>> Do you know if I can stop f5 being bound by icicles by normal
>> customization?
>
> (define-key icicle-mode-map [f5] 'whatever-you-want)

ok.

> Put that on `icicle-mode-hook' if you want.
>
> Or, if you also do not want other top-level commands rebound by Icicles,
> customize option `icicle-bind-top-level-commands-flag' to nil.

I set this, but f5 still run icicle-cmd. Did I understand right that it
should stop the f5/top level bindings altogether?

(I have all my personal organization /planner stuff on f5)